Visit historical Friends sites in Western Kenya such as Vihiga, where the pioneering translation of the Bible was undertaken by a team of Kenyan and American translators; the vast Kaimosi complex including the historic dam over the Goligoli River that powered the mission’s industrial works; the majestic old church at Lirhanda; and the Hill of Vision, from which the first missionaries spied the fertile hillside that was to become the Kaimosi mission. Evening talks with special guests will supplement the visits to historic sites. Worship on Sunday morning at a local Friends church before driving to Kisumu in time for the Triennial registration.
Start date: 8 July 2020, departing from the airport hotel in Nairobi after breakfast.
End date: 12 July 2020, arriving at the Triennial venue in time for registration.
The latest date on which you should plan to arrive in Nairobi is 7 July.
· Airfare from Nairobi to Kisumu
· Four nights stay at Friends Theological College
· All ground transportation
· All meals
· Bottled water
· All activities
· All tips
Cost does not include:
· Offerings at worship services
Lodging: on the campus of Friends Theological College in Kaimosi. See https://friendstheologicalcollege.org/. Accommodations will be in simple but clean dormitories, with mosquito nets, hot water, and flush toilets.
Leaders: Robert Wafula and others
Minimum/maximum number of participants: minimum 4 participants, no maximum
To learn more:
· Read Robert Wafula’s Christian History article giving an overview of the establishment of the Friends mission: https://christianhistoryinstitute.org/magazine/article/from-mud-huts-to-yearly-meetings
· read Eden Grace’s Friends Journal article about the distinctive pattern of ministry in the early years of the Kaimosi mission: https://www.friendsjournal.org/the-place-of-gods-own-choosing/.