The 2020 FUM/QMI/USFWI Triennial

Questions remain about plans for the 2020 Triennial Sessions in Kenya. We continue to monitor global news closely, as well as briefings from the Centers for Disease Control and the World Health Organization. Since last week’s e-news, the United States has banned foreign travelers arriving from Europe, and Kenya has banned all foreign travelers who come from countries that have confirmed coronavirus cases. This remains a fluid situation.

As of today (March 17, 2020), we have not decided to cancel the Triennial. We anticipate making a firm decision by early April. While we are accepting registrations, we are cautiously aware this may change. Currently we are waiving the requirement to pay a deposit upon registering.

Additionally, we have extended the registration deadline for residents of North America until April 15. (For Africans, the deadline remains May 1.) If your plans to attend the conference have changed or the Triennial is canceled, we will work with you to refund registration fees and travel option payments. If this happens, we will be grateful if you are led to contribute all or part of your refund to FUM. This will assist in covering our conference losses.

It is our advice to wait until a decision is made before purchasing airline tickets. If you have already purchased your tickets, check the cancellation policies and cancel-by dates of your airline. In response to the Coronavirus, several airlines have changed their policies.

Again, we are following these ever-changing developments closely and will continue to make updates on our decisions.

Kelly Kellum